- Business Name
- Shifting Sands Genealogy
- Non-Research Specialties
- Family Heirloom Preservationist
- Research Specialties
- Anglican/Church of England/Episcopalian
- Civil War
- Court Records
- Emigration & Immigration
- Federal Records
- Historical Sites
- House Historian
- Land Records
- Neighborhood Reconstruction
- Paleography (ancient/historical handwriting)
- Photograph Analysis
- Research Provinces / States
- Connecticut, United States
- Indiana, United States
- Kentucky, United States
- Massachusetts, United States
- Michigan, United States
- Minnesota, United States
- New Hampshire, United States
- New York, United States
- Ontario, Canada
- Rhode Island, United States
- Vermont, United States
- West Virginia, United States
- Wisconsin, United States
- Research Countries
- United States
- Research Time Periods
- 18th Century
- 19th Century
- 20th Century
I've been doing family history research for about 25 years. My interest in genealogy started at a young age, as I listened to stories (some true, some not so true!) from my grandpa about his parents, who were poor immigrants from Ukraine. I interviewed my family for a family history project in third grade and went on my first genealogy research trip when I was about 12 years old. As a lover of history and culture, I was easily hooked on genealogy.
I started Shifting Sands Genealogy in October 2020 so that I could help others learn more about their own family history! Why "Shifting Sands" as a business name? I grew up near the shores of Lake Michigan, with its massive dunes, dense forests, and sprawling beaches. Just like the winds coming off of the lake can cover up or expose driftwood, shipwrecks, and other hidden treasures, I love the challenge of uncovering long-forgotten pieces of family history. Imagine what could be waiting to be discovered in your own family tree!
- B.A. Anthropology
- Most in West and Central Michigan, including those in Grand Rapids, Lansing, Muskegon, Kalamazoo, and rural areas in between.
- "Jamie is thorough and detail oriented as well as friendly and approachable."
"[Jamie] is beyond professional, handles delicate situations with grace, and I really believe has an innate ability to make connections and put pieces of family together."
"Jamie is an excellent Genealogist that assisted me with locating ancestral homes and churches in both Ireland and England and is MUCH more affordable than most other genealogy services. I'm very impressed with the information I received from her[.]"
"I'm looking forward to working more with Shifting Sands to fill in my family trees!"
- "The Lost Village: From Ukraine to Michigan and Back Again," Michigana (Quarterly Magazine of the Western Michigan Genealogical Society), Vol. 67: Issue 1 (No. 269), 2021.
"The Value of Social Media in Genealogical Research," Michigana, Vol. 67: Issue 2 (No. 270), 2021.
- - Salt Lake Institute of Genealogy: Research in the Former Russian Empire & USSR, Evidence-Based Writing, and Fundamentals of Forensic Genealogy
- National Institute for Genealogical Studies: US Court Records; Nuts & Bolts of Reporting Research; Lives of Our Ancestors
- - Western Michigan Genealogical Society (Board Member)
- New York Genealogical & Biographical Society
- Business site: www.shiftingsandsgenealogy.com