- Business Name
- Non-Research Specialties
- Lecturer/Presenter - On-site
- Lecturer/Presenter - Virtual
- Research Specialties
- DNA Specialist
- Irish American
- Research Time Periods
- 19th Century
- 20th Century
Tom McFarland is the Staff Development Program Officer at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln Libraries. He is an enthusiastic genealogist with over 35 years of experience. He has published in academic journals and has written and published a family history. He presents at local, state, and national conferences - including the American Historical Society of Germans from Russia - International Conference, the Czechoslovak Genealogical Society International - Lincoln Symposium, Homestead National Monument, and many others. He is a founding member and past president of the Nebraskans of Irish/Scots Irish Ancestry, past president of the Lincoln-Lancaster County Genealogical Society, and is president of the Association of Professional Genealogists - Great Plains Chapter.
Do you want to experience the excitement of exploring your family's story? I can help you using traditional genealogical research and leading edge technology. As a university librarian and professional genealogist, I am experienced in successful research and am highly proficient in DNA analysis, American genealogical research, Irish records, and evidence analysis.
MO, NE, SD, Midwest, Ireland
- MLS (Library), BA (History, Latin American Studies)
- DNA analysis, Irish research, War of 1812, using an academic library in genealogical research, evaluating your evidence, and cluster analysis
- McFarland, Tom and Barnes, Joan, "Introducing Genealogy to the Academic Library in the 21st Century" (2018). Published in Genealogy and the Librarian: Perspectives on Research, Instruction, Outreach and Management, edited by Carol Smallwood and Vera Gubnitskaia (Jefferson, NC: McFarland, 2018), pp. 85-93
McFarland, Thomas. A Genealogy and Family History of James and Margaret Lamont MacFarlane (McFarland), 1793-1991: Including the Ancestry of Mary Elizabeth McNinny. Omaha: ME, 1991.
Drueke, Jeanetta, Gretchen Holten, and Thomas McFarland. 1993. "British Parliamentary Papers: A Simplified Guide for the Harried Librarian". RQ. 32, no. 4.
Stebelman, Scott, and Thomas McFarland. A Guide to the Major Microform Collections at the University of Nebraska--Lincoln Libraries. Lincoln: University of Nebraska--Lincoln Libraries, 1982.
- Lincoln-Lancaster County Genealogical Society, Association of Professional Genealogists, Association of Professional Genealogists - Great Plains Chapter, University Association for Administrative Development
National Genealogical Society