Lois Abromitis Mackin
- Not Taking Clients
- Check this if you are currently not taking new clients.
- Non-Research Specialties
- Lecturer/Presenter - On-site
- Lecturer/Presenter - Virtual
- Research Countries
- United States
- Research Time Periods
- 18th Century
- 19th Century
- 20th Century
Lois specializes in American and English research. She has three degrees in history from Brown University, and has completed the NGS Home Study Course, ProGen study groups (ProGen 5), and about a dozen weeklong sessions at the Samford Institute of Genealogy & Historical Research, the Genealogical Research Institute of Pittsburgh, the Historical Society of Pennsylvania, the New England Historic Genealogical Society, the International Society for British Genealogy and Family History, and the Salt Lake Institute of Genealogy.
Lois is Registrar for the Minnesota society, NSDAR and 1st Vice President of the National Society of the Colonial Dames of America in the State of Minnesota, as well as past Registrar for the Lake Minnetonka chapter, NSDAR, and NSCDA Minnesota.
She was a founding member of the Minnesota Genealogical Society DNA Interest Group and continues as one of the group's coordinators.
She served as Education Chair for the Minnesota Genealogical Society from 2009 to 2014. She was a member of the MGS board of directors from 2010 to 2012 and First Vice President from 2013 to 2014. In these capacities, she co-chaired MGS conferences from 2011 to 2014, and taught numerous courses and classes. She received the MGS North Star Award for genealogical writing, research, and education in 2011 and the Founders Award for visionary leadership in 2013.
She was a founding member and two-term president of APG's Northland chapter. During her presidency the chapter received APG's Golden Chapter award.
Lois offers in-person and online presentations, classes, and seminars for genealogical and historical societies, libraries, and other groups in the upper Midwest.
Mid-Atlantic, Midwest, England
- Ph.D. (History), M.A. (History), A.B. (History)
- French, some German, some Latin
- Lois teaches and lectures on basic genealogy and family history, genealogical methods and skills, analytical tools, case studies, Internet research, and genealogical source materials. A list of lecture topics can be found on her website.
- Lois published quarterly Beginning Genealogy columns for Minnesota Genealogist from 2010 to 2017. She has written for The Septs from 2015 to the present.
- Association of Professional Genealogists, National Genealogical Society, New England Historic Genealogical Society, Minnesota Genealogical Society, Minnesota Historical Society, Wisconsin State Genealogical Society, Wisconsin Historical Society, Iowa Genealogical Society, Genealogical Society of Pennsylvania, Historical Society of Pennsylvania, County genealogical and historical societies in Iowa, Wisconsin, Ohio, and Pennsylvania; Daughters of the American Revolution; National Society of the Colonial Dames of America; General Society of Mayflower Descendants
- Blog link
- Business site: www.loismackin.com