Liv Marit Haakenstad, AG®
- Business Name
- Genit AS
- Non-Research Specialties
- Lecturer/Presenter - On-site
- Lecturer/Presenter - Virtual
- Travel & Tour Planner
- Research Specialties
- DNA Specialist
- Emigration & Immigration
- Heir Searcher
- Paleography (ancient/historical handwriting)
- Scandinavian American
- Research Countries
- Research Time Periods
- 18th Century
- 19th Century
- 20th Century
- 21st Century
I have a Master's degree in Nonfiction Writing, and extensive education in genealogy, history, and teaching. I am also an Accredited Genealogist (AG®).
For more than 40 years, I have been doing genealogy research. In 2001, I began working as a professional genealogist, speaker, and author. In recent years, I have focused on research in the U.S. and England, looking for answers with regard to emigration from Norway.
My specialty is:
- Genealogy research in Norway - ancestors, and descendants.
- Searching for people who emigrated to US or Canada.
- Forensic Genealogy
- DNA as a tool to find relatives
- Finding living relatives
- Transmigration in the UK.
Services - genealogy research
We offer genealogy research in Norway or research on emigrants to the US or Canada. We also offer research on heirs for estates outside of Norway.
- PayPal or money wire. Invoice and time tracking.
Services - webinars
We offer webinars - also for groups. Please contact me for subjects, dates, and prices.
Haakenstad was a speaker at Who Do You Think You Are? Live in UK 2015, RootsTech London 2019, RootsTech Connect 2021, and RootsTech Salt Lake City 2023. See the full list at https://www.studygenealogy.com/speeches-and-research-work/
- - Master in Nonfiction Writing (The University of South-Eastern Norway (USN)
- Norwegian Genealogy (Volda University College)
- Local History (Western Norway University of Applied Sciences (HVL)
- History, some subjects (Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU))
- Cand.mag. (teacher, 4 years) ( Inland Norway University of Applied Sciences)
- English, Norwegian/Danish, Swedish
- - Ancestry.com
- Internet resources, Norway
- Norwegian National Archives
- Norwegian National Library
- Oslo City Archive
- Regional Archives, Oslo and Hamar
- «I have been trying to research our Norwegian relatives for my family over the past year and found it extremely difficult to do on my own not understanding Norwegian or knowing where to find the information. I was lucky to find Liv on a professional genealogy website. When searching for a genealogist, I found Liv was highly recommended by many of her colleagues. Working with her I found her to be a true professional genealogist, researcher and very hard working. She has uncovered information and facts on our family that we could have never found. I would highly recommend Liv to anyone who wants to explore their Norwegian ancestry. Liv has given us a gift that will last generations. Thank you Liv!»
Lorri, Australia (June 2021)
"The result of her work was presented in a very clear and user-friendly way, with an overview of ancestral lines as well as detailed information about each person. Her work comes across as solid and very professional. I can, without hesitation, recommend Liv Marit as an expert in genealogy."
- Selection of speeches:
- Five Tools to Power Your Genealogy Research
- How to Find Your Norwegian Ancestors? Using American Sources to Build Your Family Tree.
- 5 easy steps to Norwegian Genealogy
- Trace Your Norwegian Roots: How to Find Clues in U.S. and Norwegian Sources
- Did the Norwegians keep their Naming Traditions in the US?
- Transmigration through Great Britain
- From dry sources to a good story - Writing your family history
- - "A Guide to Norwegian Genealogy, Emigration, and Transmigration", selfpublishing 2022 - https://www.amazon.com/Guide-Norwegian-Genealogy-Emigration-Transmigration/dp/B0B6XJJXK2/ref=tmm_hrd_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=1664543023&sr=8-1
- "Slektsgransking med dataveiledning", Orion Forlag 2001 (Genealogy and computers, revised edition 2004).
- "Slektsgranskerens guide til utvandringen 1825-1930", Orion Forlag 2008 (The Genealogist's Guide to Emigration 1825-1930).
- "Slektsgransking. Steg for steg med praktiske eksempler", Aschehoug Forlag 2010 (Genealogy. Step by step with practical examples).
- "Min slekt nyttige notater og utfyllingsskjema i slektsgransking", Vigmostad & Bjorke 2012.
- "Min slekt skjemahefte", Vigmostad & Bjorke 2012.
- "Slektsgranskerens guide til utvandringen 1825-1930", Vigmostad & Bjorke 2013 (The Genealogist's Guide to Emigration 1825-1930).
- "Paa sporet av familien", Vigmostad & Bjorke 2015 (a book about Norwegian Genealogy).
- Several articles and genealogy books - see https://www.genealogi.no/wiki/index.php/Liv_Marit_Haakenstad
- - The Accreditation of Professional Genealogists (ICAPGen)
- Association of Professional Genealogists (APG)
- The Norwegian Non-Fiction Writers and Translators Association (NFF)
- NSF - The Norwegian Genealogical Society
- Genealogy Society of Norway - Slekt og Data
- Vestoppland Slektshistorielag
- Blog link
|Street Address:||Karlsvognen 57|