Jane Neff Rollins
- Business Name
- Sherlock Combs Genealogy
- Non-Research Specialties
- Lecturer/Presenter - On-site
- Lecturer/Presenter - Virtual
- Oral Historian/Interviewer
- Research Specialties
- Emigration & Immigration
- Research Counties
- Los Angeles County, California, United States
- Research Provinces / States
- California, United States
- Illinois, United States
- Research Countries
- Research Time Periods
- 19th Century
- 20th Century
- 21st Century
Jane Neff Rollins is a professional genealogist who cried when she first saw her grandfather's name on the 1900 census. She has researched in archives in Chicago, Los Angeles, New York, Washington DC, and Jerusalem. Jane routinely translates 19th century Russian documents into English for clients and online databases.
Jane has lectured at conferences sponsored by the National Genealogical Society, Federation of Genealogical Societies, International Association of Jewish Genealogical Societies, Southern California Genealogical Society (Genealogy Jamboree), Stillaguamish Valley Genealogical Society (Northwest Genealogy Conference) and at society meetings across the country. Jane's genealogical writing has appeared in Avotaynu: The Journal of Jewish Genealogy, the National Genealogical Society magazine, FGS Forum [for which she won the 2020 FGS Writer’s Award], Pennsylvania Legacies, and elsewhere.
Jane belongs to the National Genealogical Society, the Genealogical Speakers Guild, the Association of Professional Genealogists, and several local and State genealogy societies.
Welcomes private clients for family history research, translates Russian to English, lectures, writes articles
CA, IL, NY, Mid-Atlantic, Midwest, West, Chicago, Los Angeles, New York City, Poland, Ukraine
- MSPH (Epidemiology), UCLA
B.A. (French and Russian), Portland State University
- Family History Library - West Los Angeles
Los Angeles Public Library Genealogy Division
Los Angeles City Archives
Los Angeles County Superior Court Archives and Record Center
Southern California Genealogical Society Library
Spielberg Oral History Collection/University of Southern California
UCLA Research Library
- "Your classes were so stimulating, excellent and WOW!. Usually I get home from a class and start trying to find the things the instructor told us about and I meet more brick walls but NOT this time... I found my Great Grandfather, Carl after listening to your talk who I have been looking for for over 10 years." Nancy Peralta
"Jane Neff Rollins gave a spellbinding talk about how to deal with sensitive and scandalous discoveries. In the course of researching her family history, Rollins has ferreted out a raft of secrets and transgressions that relatives have hidden over the years including instances of bigamy, theft, spousal abuse, suicide, homosexuality and conversion. As more and more family dirt surfaced, Rollins found herself facing the fraught ethical question of what to reveal." David Laskin, best-selling author of "The Family"
- Jewish Genealogy: Fundamentals of Jewish Genealogy; American Warp, Jewish Weft: Weaving Jewish Sources Into Genealogy Research; I Never Heard from Them Again -- Researching Relatives Who Died in the Holocaust; Westward Ho! – The Jewish Agricultural Colony in Sanpete County, Utah; From Babel to Benefit – Translation Tips for Foreign-Language Documents; Learn Just Enough Russian for Genealogy
Offers 2 dozen other lectures in categories such as vital records mash-up, unusual record types with genealogically-relevant data, research techniques, and storytelling. For a complete list and details about lecture topics please visit: www.sherlockcombsgenealogy.com.
- Jane Neff Rollins. Researching Jewish Ancestors Who Served During the American Civil War. Avotaynu, Vol.XXXVI, No. 3, Fall, 2020, pages 28-32.
Jane Neff Rollins and Andrea Massion, “Farming in the Golden Land: Jewish Agricultural Colonies West of the Mississippi,” NGS Magazine (January-March 2020, Vol. 46: No. 1): 34-40.
Jane Neff Rollins, “Labor Union Documents: Genealogically Relevant Sources,” FGS Forum (Spring 2019, Vol. 31: No. 1): 1-7.
Jane Neff Rollins, “Generations: Find Out How the Spanish Flu Epidemic of 1918-19 Affected Your Pennsylvania Ancestors,” Pennsylvania Legacies (Spring 2019, Vol. 19: No. 1):34-35.
Jane Neff Rollins, “The Spanish Flu Outbreak in 1918-19 and How it Affected Your Ancestors,” Crossroads (Summer 2018, Vol. 13: No. 3): 6-21.
- Forensic Genealogy Institute 2016/17
GenProof Study Group
Salt Lake Institute of Genealogy 2017-2021
- APG; National Genealogical Society; Genealogical Speakers Guild; Jewish Genealogical Society of Los Angeles; Southern California Genealogical Society
- Business site: sherlockcombsgenealogy.com
|Street Address:||2029 Verdugo Blvd #195|