- Non-Research Specialties
- Lecturer/Presenter - On-site
- Lecturer/Presenter - Virtual
- Research Specialties
- DNA Specialist
- Research Counties
- Berkshire, South East England, United Kingdom
- Research Countries
- Research Time Periods
- 14th Century
- 15th Century
- 16th Century
- 17th Century
- 18th Century
- 19th Century
- 20th Century
- 21st Century
I am an experienced UK-based editor, writer, genealogist and genetic genealogist. I am an Honorary Research Associate in the Department of Genetics, Evolution and Environment at University College London. I have worked on a range of books and journals on a variety of different subjects and I have written articles for various genealogy publications in the UK. I am the author of two books published by the History Press: DNA and Social Networking: A Guide to Genealogy in the Twenty-First Century (October 2011) and The Surnames Handbook (October 2012). I have been researching my own family history since 2002. I have extensive experience of English records with particular knowledge of the records for Berkshire and Devon.
I offer presentations on a wide range of subjects relating to the use of DNA testing both for genealogy purposes and for forensics. I also offer lectures on surnames and the use of social media for genealogy.
I am available for writing, editing and proofreading assignments. I can also undertake genealogy research assignments at the Berkshire Record Office in Reading, England, and the Reading Central Reference Library.
- Berkshire Record Office, Reading Central Reference Library
- I am available to give talks on DNA testing and social networking for genealogy purposes.
- I have published articles in academic journals including Forensic Science International, Forensic Science International Genetics and Human Reproduction. I have written many articles for Who Do You Think You Are Magazine and Family Tree Magazine, the leading family history magazines in the UK. I have also had articles published in the journals of various family history societies in the UK. I write mainly on the subjects of genetics, online resources and the use of social networking as a tool for family history research. My first book Family History: DNA and Social Networking was published by the History Press in October 2011.
- Master Craftsman of the Guild of One-Name Studies
- I am an Honorary Research Associate in the Department of Genetics, Evolution and Environment at University College London. I am a member of the Guild of One-Name Studies, the Society of Authors, the International Society of Genetic Genealogy, the Devon Family History Society, the Berkshire Family History Society and the Somerset and Dorset Family History Society.
- Website: cruwys.blogspot.com/