[APG Public List] Questions on Social Security Benefits Application

Jacqueline Wilson wilssearch at gmail.com
Mon Jan 10 15:10:54 MST 2011

Joan, true about the marriage record - but not a requirement.  I was not doubting Sheri, I was adding details based on my personal knowledge of having taken and adjudicated all such applications for survivor benefits and payee applications and accountability reports.   I have 28 years of experience with the administration.  What surprises me is how much I actually remember from my work years, but not from my college years.

Jacqueline Wilson
Evanston, IL

"Wilssearch Editorial & Research Services - your service of choice for the indexing challenged genealogist." 

Deputy Sheriff for Publications of the Chicago Corral of the Westerners

Masters of Military History student at AMU

On Jan 9, 2011, at 9:33 PM, JYoung6180 at aol.com wrote:

I never said the Rep Payee had to be a relative. The Rep Payee also doesn't have to be the custodial guardian--although they often are. I am saying that in all probability the marriage record would have been part of the original file because it would establish beyond doubt who the legal father is.
In a message dated 1/9/2011 9:25:08 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, wilssearch at gmail.com writes:
Joan, if the father's name is on the children's birth certificates, no further proof would be required, married or not to the mother.  When there are minor children with no parent, a representative payee is appointed to receive benefits until they are 18.  I can't remember the year the law changed, but at one time children could receive benefits up to the age of 22 if in full time attendance in college.  The law was later changed to graduation from high school - age 19 at the latest.

As to who is appointed as rep payee as we called it - it depends on with whom the children are living.  If with a relative, that person would probably be the payee.  And yes they have to account to SSA as to how they spent the money.  If the children, for some reason, were in an institution, then the institution could receive the benefits.  

All Sheri was saying is that the rep payee need not be a relative.

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <../attachments/20110110/bcdef395/attachment.htm>

More information about the APGPublicList mailing list