[APG Public List] Questions on Social Security Benefits Application

JYoung6180 at aol.com JYoung6180 at aol.com
Sun Jan 9 20:33:03 MST 2011

I never said the Rep Payee had to be a relative. The Rep Payee also doesn't 
 have to be the custodial guardian--although they often are. I am  saying 
that in all probability the marriage record would have been part of the  
original file because it would establish beyond doubt who the legal father  is.
In a message dated 1/9/2011 9:25:08 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,  
wilssearch at gmail.com writes:

Joan, if  the father's name is on the children's birth certificates, no 
further proof  would be required, married or not to the mother.  When there are 
minor  children with no parent, a representative payee is appointed to 
receive  benefits until they are 18.  I can't remember the year the law changed, 
 but at one time children could receive benefits up to the age of 22 if in 
full  time attendance in college.  The law was later changed to graduation 
from  high school - age 19 at the latest.  

As to who is appointed as rep payee as we called it - it depends on with  
whom the children are living.  If with a relative, that person would  
probably be the payee.  And yes they have to account to SSA as to how  they spent 
the money.  If the children, for some reason, were in an  institution, then 
the institution could receive the benefits.  

All Sheri was saying is that the rep payee need not be a  relative.

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <../attachments/20110109/6d6b82c1/attachment.htm>

More information about the APGPublicList mailing list