- Purpose. To recognize a student and/or young professional who has a significant interest in genealogy and has a strong interest in developing a professional career.
- Frequency. Annually, but does not need to be awarded every year.
- Eligibility. Entries are limited to one per person, and the online form must be completed by 5 pm Eastern on 1 June of the year in which the award is to be given. The scholarship is non-transferable. Candidates should be between the ages of 18 and 35 years on 1 January of the year the award is to be given.
Criteria. Application will contain the following: name, address, main contact phone number, email address, school (if applicable), list of extracurricular activities (including applicant’s organizations and volunteer activities), short answers to the following (500 to 750 words per question):
a) How do you see yourself involved in genealogy over the next five years?
b) How do you imagine you will use the information from the PMC in your career?
Award recipient evaluation is based on the following elements, (for a total of 75 points):
a) Follow instructions (keeping answers within word count limits) 5 points;
b) Extracurricular activities (organizations, volunteer activities, etc.) 10 points; and
c) Answers to essay questions 1 and 2. Maximum 30 points each question, for a total of 60 points.
- Selection. Entries are solicited through libraries, archives, genealogical and historical societies, members, and academic institutions. The application form for the award will be posted on the APG website. The award recommendation will be made by the Awards Committee with the approval of the Executive Committee. All decisions of the judges are final. The award consists of:
a) one registration for the APG Professional Management Conference which must be used within two years of award notification; and
b) reimbursement of up to $500 for hotel and travel expenses when attending the PMC in person.
- Presentation. Awarded at the APG Professional Management Conference. Recipient is notified in advance to encourage their attendance in person or online if the conference is virtual.
2019 Anne Leishman Merrell
2018 Alec Ferretti, Miyamoto Loretta Jensen, and Nefi Arenas Salazar
2017 Meryl Schumacker
2015 Bryna O'Sullivan
2014 Eva Goodwin
2008 Michael Melendez