As part of the Association of Professional Genealogist’s mission to welcome and encourage the growth of new members in the field, the APG Young Professional Scholarship was established to recognize a student and/or young professional who has a significant interest in genealogy and in developing a career in the field. The award consists of a free registration for the APG Professional Management Conference (PMC) and a $500 award.
Eligibility: Candidates should be between the ages of 18 and 29 years on 1 January of the year the award is to be given.
Aside from personal details (name, address, phone number, email address), school and school address (if applicable), a list of extracurricular activities (e.g. student organizations, volunteer activities), a general letter of recommendation, and a letter of recommendation from someone who has witnessed the applicant’s interest in genealogy, applicants are asked to answer two short essay questions:
Discuss a specific record collection, media, digital source or other resource that has significantly changed your perspective about family history or research strategy along with the pros and cons of that record source, and how you used it to resolve a genealogical problem.
- What do you envision a genealogical career will encompass in the next five years and how do you see yourself involved then?
Selection: Entries are solicited from libraries, archives, genealogical and historical societies, APG members, and academic institutions. Award recipient is chosen based on evaluation of the following elements:
- Ability to follow instructions (all elements covered as to number of words for short answer within limit); 5 points.
- Extracurricular activities (organizations, volunteer activities, etc.). 10 points, with weight established for each activity as judges determine appropriate.
- A general letter of recommendation; maximum 10 points.
- A letter of recommendation regarding interest in genealogy; maximum 15 points.
- Short answer one; maximum 30 points.
- Short answer two; maximum 30 points.
2019 Anne Leishman Merrell
2018 Alec Ferretti, Miyamoto Loretta Jensen, and Nefi Arenas Salazar
2017 Meryl Schumacker
2015 Bryna O'Sullivan
2014 Eva Goodwin
2008 Michael Melendez