No subject

Thu Mar 10 12:02:21 MST 2011

This notion of discrimination bothers me, because these groups are meant
 to be targeted at specific lineages or connections. They are private
organizations that are inherently interested in a specific part of
history. It wouldn't do anyone any good to open a DAR lineage book up to
 find members who had a non-blood lineage. At a time when genealogy is
trying to gain much more credibility among academics, some people are
saying that we should cast aside the nets by which we define ourselves.
After all, further defining ourselves is part of what many of these
groups are about. People join the groups to find a connection to their
 many on this list, I could join any multitude of societies and lineage
groups because of my genetic history. The SAR, National Society of
Descendents of Early Quakers, and many others could be where I submit my
 packet of information and join others in a dusty book in a library,
touting my bloodline. I choose not to in part because of finances, but
I'm not interested in genealogy and being worried about the who's who in
 my genetic code, i.e. namedropping ancestors. Oftentimes, the working
class stories are just as interesting as those of the Mayflower
passengers or icons of the American Revolution.<br><br>The merits of
these groups is based quite a bit on the filters they have in place. I
have seen so many discussions on this list and a couple of others about
how technical we must be in our research--these groups assist in
forwarding that cause. Some of them are recovering from decades of bad
submissions themselves and are determined to reverse the tide by being
diligent in their screening of membership applications. If someone wants
 to come up with a Society for People Who Were Adopted by Members of the
 Sons of the American Revolution, but please don't trivialize the
institutions that are doing a great deal of good for historians and
--0-297348714-1310308586=:51633--