[APG Public List] War of 1812 pensions

JUDY A RIFFEL riffelj at bellsouth.net
Mon Mar 28 12:14:12 MDT 2011

I have just finished compiling a new index to Louisiana's War of 1812 pension files and am working on an introduction.  Louisiana started offering pensions in 1867 to veterans and widows in necessitous circumstances.  The federal government paid disability pensions earlier, but started granting service-related pensions in 1871.  I'm wondering if anyone has come across any examples of individuals getting both a state and federal War of 1812 pension.  I'm still sorting through the rules, so I'm not sure if there were any prohibiting this.  Even so, some might have double dipped anyway.  Has anyone run across such an example?

Thank you.
Judy Riffel
Baton Rouge, LA