[APG Public List] Kentucky travel early 1800s

Alvie L Davidson floridasearch at verizon.net
Sun Mar 27 19:01:58 MDT 2011

I have a book in my library which is in essence a personal diary of an early Baptist minister.  He was born in Kentucky in 1788 and died in Howard County, Indiana 1 May 1866.

In his ministry he traveled all over western KY and Indiana.  In one account he tells of loading his family and belongings onto a flat barge and pulling it to move his family in the dead of winter.  He gives a first-hand account of the New Madrid Earthquake while hanging onto his chimney on his roof.

The book is entitled “Autobiography of Elder Wilson Thompson”.   I have a first edition of the book and a later reprint.  The later reprint was “chapterized” but the first edition was not.

I have read it several times and have enjoy reading of his exploits and travels.  Oh for the hardships of an early minster of the gospel.   His autobiography was published in 1867 by his children.

Alvie L. Davidson CG

 <http://www.floridadetective.net> www.floridadetective.net

 <http://alviesgenealogyspot.blogspot.com/> http://alviesgenealogyspot.blogspot.com/

CG and Certified Genealogist are Service Marks of the Board for Certification of Genealogists, used under license by board certificants after periodic evaluations by the Board

Lakeland, FL