[APG Public List] Kentucky travel early 1800s

JFonkert at aol.com JFonkert at aol.com
Sun Mar 27 18:33:39 MDT 2011

Thank you, Barbara. The accounts from diaries that you and a few others
have offered give interesting insights. Regarding water vs. land, I think
most people would guess that river transport was cheaper than land. I suppose
that the cost of building a raft or boat was one factor.  As for people
returning to Virginia via the Wilderness Road, that makes sense to me because
upstream on the Ohio would be a challenge.

For those interested in this subject, a map in C. O. Paulin, Atlas of the
Historical Geography of the United States, shows travel times from New York
in  1880.

- central Virginia, 7 days
- western Virginia, 3 weeks
- Kentucky via the Ohio, 3 weeks
- KY Bluegrass via Cumberland Gap, 3+ weeks

One's travel speed would obviously depend on the size of the party and what
 belongings people carried.

In a message dated 3/27/2011 3:49:54 P.M. Central Daylight Time,