[APG Public List] [APG Members] Kentucky tax lists question

JFonkert at aol.com JFonkert at aol.com
Tue Mar 15 15:27:34 MDT 2011

One more time in response to my own question...for those who are
interested...

Thank you, Kathy, for the url for the Kentucky Statutes. Reading the actual
 law answers many of my questions.  This was a state-levied tax,
administered by the counties.  The law charged the sheriff with  responsibility for
tax collection.

This is actually a good lesson in the history of local government.
Although powers of counties in many states have been liberalized in the past
half-century, counties were and remain political subdivisions of their states.
(Some counties have "home rule" power).  You might think of counties as the
"district offices" of state government. Their principal purpose was to
administer state laws.  In this early Kentucky case, my quick read  indicates
that the sheriff retained a small percentage of collections as  compensation
for his work.

This, I think, is the end of today's lessen on early 19th Century Kentucky
tax lists.  Remember, practices may be different in other states.

In a message dated 3/15/2011 2:41:18 P.M. Central Daylight Time,