[APG Public List] Kentucky tax lists question

JFonkert at aol.com JFonkert at aol.com
Tue Mar 15 13:22:36 MDT 2011

Again, in response to my own question, and with the help of David Suddarth,
 I can summarize what I have learned from a useful article on the Kentucky
Secretary of State's website.

First, in 1793, the KY General Assembly established a property tax system,
calling for appointed commissioners in each county. Without reading the
actual  statutes, I am not entirely clear about whether the authorized tax was
a state  or county levy, or both.

Then, a 1793 statute permitted taxpayers to report their land from several
counties with the commissioner in their residence county.

At 1799 statute provided that taxpayers owning property in another county,
but not paying, be reported to the state auditor.

The article on the Secretary of State's website has many other interesting
details about how taxes about how taxes were administered.  Among other
things, I now understand why tax lists from the 1810-20 period included
information about militia companies.  This was because property owners were
required to travel to the place of their company's muster to report their
property to the tax commissioner.

In a message dated 3/15/2011 1:11:02 P.M. Central Daylight Time,