[APG Public List] [BCG] Possible move of military records out of the NARA facility inWashington, DC

Rick Sayre, CG ricksayre at gmail.com
Wed Mar 9 16:15:00 MST 2011

On 3/9/2011 3:54 PM, Pamela K Sayre wrote:
> I may be a day late and a dollar short, having been in Missouri visiting parents, but I am surprised to see the statement that "there is no climate control" at the [National] archives in DC (for the civil war pension files)." The NARA building in downtown DC may be older than the buildings in or planned for the St. Louis area, but the peoples' documents are no less cared for in DC! I have been in the stacks and seen this firsthand. In my training as a NARA volunteer working on some of those very Civil War pension files being discussed, I have first-hand knowledge that the records ARE stored and handled with great care in climate-controlled environments, and volunteers receive many hours of training in preservation and security before even being allowed in the room to work on the project.
>
> While living in St. Louis, I traveled annually to Washington for at least eight years for the sole purpose of researching in Civil War and earlier military records. Would it have served my own personal interests to be able to go 35 miles instead of 1,000 to see the files? Yes, BUT. While researching in Washington, DC, I have access to NARA staff who have been trained and worked with these military records for many years and who possess an in-depth knowledge not available anywhere else, just as experts in St. Louis probably have that expertise with twentieth-century military records in which they specialize. But far beyond simply the pension files, by making a single trip to Washington, I could also research the Accounting Office records or hospital records or correspondence records that dovetailed with the pension files. Part of the charter of any archive is to maintain the provenance of a record--not ordinarily rearranging a file or separating related files. If those Civil War and earlier pension files moved to St. Louis, their linkages to myriad other records in the National Archives would be broken.
>
> I am a St. Louis-born girl now living in Washington until retirement in a few years. I know that St. Louis has a much lower cost of living and doing business than Washington, DC. However, part of NARA's charter besides preservation is records access. Many people travel to Washington to research at NARA, knowing that they can branch out and find even more information at rich repositories here with a national focus--the Library of Congress, the DAR Library, the Society of the Cincinnati Library, and Arlington National Cemetery, to name a few. While I could easily spend a week or two in St. Louis researching beyond pension files if they were relocated there, it is because I am a fifth-generation Missourian with research needs in that particular geographic area. Percentage-wise, very few people share that need; while almost every U.S. citizen can find records of interest to them in many Washington, DC-area repositories.

> [...]
I posted the following to Narations earlier today.

Before making an affirmative statement on why I think Military Records
should remain in DC I must rebut some statements and inferences that the
records are not well cared for in DC. I have been in the stacks; they
are climate controlled and meet archival standards. This is the same
building that records of the earliest congresses are stored, where
records signed by our earliest Presidents are routinely encountered.
Record conservation is ongoing in Archives I as in the case of
processing widows pensions for filming. I know there are issues of
adequate funds and staff to conserve all the records NARA holds, but
these problems are hardly unique to Washington. I doubt that they have
been uniquely solved in St Louis or Illinois—the problem is NARA wide.

I think decision makers should consider the following factors:

The trained military archivists are located in Archives I. Is the
transfer of these individuals such as Trevor Plante contemplated?
Many genealogists have made a living over the years researching in the
military records. Are they going to be kicked to the curb? One of the
individuals featured on the recent “Who do think you are?” is a private
researcher that has been doing NARA research for 23 years. Others well
known in the genealogical community have likewise spent years
researching these records and have developed specialized expertise.
I fear the NARA has not recognized the synergies created by having these
core records located in DC. A researcher coming to DC or living in DC
has the opportunity to develop a research plan that can tap into the
military records of Archives I, the DAR, the Society of Cincinnati, the
Otis Archives, the Library of Congress, BLM’s General Land Office
Records, the military maps and photos housed at Archives II, and the
list goes on. Also the researcher could plan to use the resources of the
various Service historical activities such as those of the Navy at the
Washington Navy Yard, the Marine Corps at Quantico. If I find pension
payment information in a pension file in Archives I, I can continue the
research in RG 217, Records of the Accounting Officers of the Treasury
located in Archives II. I fear many do not recognize these linkages and
the enormous burden on researchers that moving the core records will
create. The mission of a public archive after preservation is access.
This plan will reduce access. If the rule is that only scanned records
are transferred then we have a long breathing period. I doubt anyone
reading this will be alive when all the Old Military records are scanned
and online.

Rick Sayre, CG