[APG Public List] Woman's name Ida

Gladys Paulin gpaulin at sprintmail.com
Wed Mar 9 14:01:55 MST 2011

Ida was a very popular name for Jewish girls and immigrant women in the
early 20th century.

Immigrants arrived with their Yiddish names and quickly took an "American"
name. Those with Yiddish names beginning with the aspirated H or Ch (as in
Hanukkah/Chanukah) such as Chaya, Chaike, Chava as well as those with names
like Idit, and Itta/Itte, often became Ida. Occasionally Chana became Ida,
although Anna was favored by those who arrived with this name. Yiddish names
had variations, abbreviations, and diminutive forms, many of which were
derived from a Hebrew name.

Gladys
Gladys Friedman Paulin, CG
Winter Springs, FL
CG, Certified Genealogist, is a service mark of the Board for Certification
of Genealogists and is used under license by Board-certified persons who
meet program standards and periodic rigorous evaluations.

Member, Association of Professional Genealogists (APG)