[APG Public List] Abbreviation of Jo. = Joseph or John?

Kathy Gunter Sullivan, Certified Genealogist sully1 at carolina.rr.com
Tue Mar 8 15:33:33 MST 2011

Out of curiosity, I went to the index of /Colonial Records of North
Carolina/ <http://docsouth.unc.edu/csr/index.html/indices/> and did a
FIND for Jo. There are instances of "Jo." appearing to represent the
forename John; in particular: Jo. Bartholomew and Jo. Hobbs. The usage
isn't consistent. Sometimes Jo. appears to represent Joseph, but there
are enough examples to support conclusions in the Meacham essay cited
previously. Previously, I would not have suspected Jo. as indicating
John. Thanks to Jay Fonkert for raising the question and to Drew Smith
for providing the Meacham essay example.

Kathy