[APG Public List] Jr and Sr

Charles S. Mason, Jr. cgrs791 at netscape.com
Tue Mar 8 10:47:29 MST 2011

Kathleen,

You are correct that when a man is named the family would have no idea if he
would someday have a son and give him the same name.  So you have received
incorrect information.  Your father may have been able to amend his birth
certificate and add Sr. to it, but I have never seen this done.  I have seen
other corrections or amendments made to birth certificates.

My father added Sr. to his name when I was born and I was named after him.
That name was exactly the same as my father's, first name, middle name, and
surname.  I have a cousin who was given the same first name, Robert, after
my uncle.  However, they do not have the same middle name so they never used
Sr. or Jr.

Jay is correct two men do not have to be father and son to use Sr. and Jr.
They may be grandfather and grandson, uncle and nephew, or another
relationship.  They might also not be related but have the exact name and be
living in the same location.  They take on Sr. and Jr. so people can
distinguish between the two of them.

If the Jr. man names his son after himself, first name, middle name, and
surname, that son becomes the third (III).  And if he names a son with the
same name he would become the fourth (IV).  I grew up with neighbors who
have four generations named exactly the same.  They were Alfred M. Cunard,
Sr., and Jr., and III and IV.  Alfred the IV did not have a son so the line
ended.

You sometimes have to be careful and examine records closely.  My third
great grandfather was Ambrose Pancoast.  He never used Sr.  However he had a
son who was named after him that used Jr.  The Jr. Ambrose also had a son he
named Ambrose and he also used Jr.  I have to carefully examine any record I
find for Ambrose Pancoast, Jr. for the time period when the latter two were
both alive, to be sure which one created the record.

I have also heard about cases where after the Sr. man died, the Jr. man
changed his name to Sr.  This can be especially confusing if the Jr. man had
a son who was named after him and the son changed from using III to Jr.

I hope this helps.

Oh by the way, the way my father and I were distinguished between was he was
Charles or Charlie and I grew up Chuck

Charles S. Mason, Jr.