[APG Public List] Jr and Sr

Michael Hait michael.hait at hotmail.com
Tue Mar 8 10:36:42 MST 2011

I don’t think that are really any hard and fast rules.

For example, my father is Michael Grant Hait. He did not legally change his name to “Sr.” when I was born, though he sometimes does go by this (usually if there is any chance of confusion with me). On the other hand, my birth certificate *does* say Michael Grant Hait, Jr., so this is my legal name, and would not change unless I chose to legally do so.

Go back a few generations, and my great-great-grandfather (born in 1863, if anyone was curious as to where the middle name came from) was named Myron Grant Hait. His son was known as Myron Grant Hait, Jr. The elder Myron died in 1900. When my grandfather was born in 1927, he was also called Myron Grant Hait, Jr.

Go back a few more generations, and there was a Henry Hait. He was the son of Aaron, son of David, but was known in his hometown of Stamford, Connecticut, as Henry Hait (or Hoyt) 3rd. There were two older Henry Hoyts in town, one only a few years (less than 10) older. When he moved away from Stamford and its proliferation of Hoyts, Henry never again used a generational suffix.

In other words, sometimes they are related, sometimes they are not, sometimes they use Sr., sometimes Jr., sometimes which one they use changes, sometimes it doesn’t.

In general, historically, “Sr.” and “Jr.” were not usually parts of legal names. This changed at some point—my guess is some time during the 20th century.

Michael Hait
michael.hait at hotmail.com
http://www.haitfamilyresearch.com