[APG Public List] Abbreviations of given names

john at johnwylie.com john at johnwylie.com
Tue Mar 8 08:56:45 MST 2011

I don't recall the county, but back in the mid 90s, I found hand-written
instructions on the inside cover of a probate index telling which
abbreviations would be used for various first names. Wish I'd had a camera
that day. In any case this small mid Texas county (I think) had more than
two dozen names listed. I know we genealogists love to jump right into
every register we find, but sometimes it pays to look beyond just the names
we're searching.

Cordially,

John Wylie in Texas