[APG Public List] Abbreviations of given names

Barbara Vines Little, CG, FVGS bvlittle at earthlink.net
Mon Mar 7 19:06:43 MST 2011

The question is not whether examples can be found showing that Jo was
used as an abbreviation for John (or Joseph), but how the person writing
that particular document used it. Can you find other examples written by
the person who wrote the document or failing that other documents from
the area. Practices changed not only based on time periods but also
based upon local practice at a given time.

Barbara Vines Little, CG, FVGS

PO Box 1273
Orange, VA 22960
bvlittle at earthlink.net
540-832-3473

CG, Certified Genealogist, is a service mark of the Board for
Certification of Genealogists, used under license by board certified
genealogists after periodic evaluation, and the board name is registered
in the US Patent & Trademark Office.