[APG Public List] Abbreviations of given names

JFonkert at aol.com JFonkert at aol.com
Mon Mar 7 15:15:30 MST 2011

Dear List,

I posted this question this morning on the APG-members list.  I've
received some helpful responses, including one that referenced an interesting
article at
_http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~wmeacham/abbrjo.htm_ (http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~wmeacham/abbrjo.htm)

The article deals with 17th Century English sources; I am working in  an
1830s Kentucky estate record.  I am hoping someone can add more  information
about given name abbreviations in Kentucky/Viriginia records from  this
period.

 Here is my original post:
I ordinarily expect to find the name "John" abbreviated as "Jno," but I
have seen lists of abbreviations that indicate "Jo" is an abbreviation of
"John"  -- for example at:
_http://www.british-genealogy.com/parish-registers/first-names-a-abbreviations.html_
(http://www.british-genealogy.com/parish-registers/first-names-a-abbreviations.html)

I need a more scholarly opinion.  Can anyone point me to an  authoritative
source on the matter?  Thanks.

Jay Fonkert,  CG
_http://fourgenerationsgenealogy.blogspot.com/_
(http://fourgenerationsgenealogy.blogspot.com/)
Saint  Paul, MN

Director, Association of Professional  Genealogists
(professional profile at _www.apgen.org)_ (http://www.apgen.org)/)
Member, Genealogical  Speakers Guild
(professional profile at _http://www.genealogicalspeakersguild.org/)_
(http://www.genealogicalspeakersguild.org/))

Member, International Society of Family History Writers and  Editors

CG (Certified Genealogist) is a service mark of  the Board for
Certification of Genealogists, used under license by  Board-certified associates after
periodic competency evaluations.