[APG Public List] Who do you think you are? My days One and Two.

Eileen Polakoff eileenpolakoff at att.net
Mon Mar 7 15:15:34 MST 2011

I would like to second Meredith's comments about IAJGS conferences. I have
attended all three BIG conferences (NGS, FGS, IAJGS) for too many years to
count, my first FGS conference was in 1988 in Boston, my first NGS
conference was in 1989 in St Paul (or was 1989 in Arlington, VA?), and my
first (IA)JGS was in 1985 in New York City. I considered these the 'big 3'
because they were run by the largest societies and covered the most ground.
As Meredith says below they were all exhilarating and exhausting but the JGS
were the most exhausting since they ran from 8:00 am until 10:30 pm and
sometimes later. Once the JGS groups got together a little better and spoke
with one voice in the early 1990s the conferences became more organized with
much more to do. NGS and FGS run many tracks over four days, but lecture
topics are often repeated year after year. The Jewish conferences also run
many tracks all day long for 5 and a half days and nights, and except for a
few basic lectures none are repeats. One FGS president who attended IAJGS
conferences for a couple of years commented to me that they were all of
advanced levels.

The Jewish conferences tend to be held in big cities, so look to attend one
if you are near Washington, DC this summer (2011), or Paris, France (2012)
or Boston (2013), or Jerusalem (2014). Check schedules, programs, hotels,
etc. at www.iajgs.org.

A few years ago I had to stop going to three conferences a year, first I cut
out either NGS or FGS, then I had to cut out one more due to finances, but I
have found ways to attend the Jewish one almost every year and hope I can
attend for many, many years. I hope to return to NGS or FGS if possible, but
mostly to see friends. As Craig says, these conferences are like family
reunions to us in the professional community.

Eileen Polakoff
New York City

From: Meredith Hoffman / GenerationsWeb
Subject: Re: [APG Public List] Who do you think you are? My days One and
Two.

The hands-down best conferences I get to go to are the annual International
Association of Jewish Genealogy Societies (IAJGS) summer conferences

[snip ... snip]

As exhilarating and exhausting as other conferences are, the breadth and
depth of the opportunities at the IAJGS conferences challenge me and exhaust
me in a way that no other conference does.