[APG Public List] Genalogy business plan

Dave Liesse Dave at skingcoservicesllc.com
Tue Jun 14 12:07:13 MDT 2011

Debbi,

My business actually has two separate lines of work: tax preparation and
genealogy, neither of which has a great chance of generating income 100%
of the year (certainly not enough to depend on either one as a sole
source of income!).  Thus, using simultaneous career #1, I'll address
your first question about simultaneous career #2.

You may not be able to recoup costs directly, but if you do it right the
cost of the convention, including travel and lodging (and partial
meals), can be a business expense.  The important phrase is "if you do
it right."  The expenses need to be ordinary and necessary for the line
of business (conventions for professional genealogists qualify),
reasonable, and so on.  You can check with your tax adviser for more
details.

Dave

(Completely off topic: does anyone know when "adviser" replaced
"advisor" as the spelling acceptable to computer programs?)