[APG Public List] Genalogy business plan

Jeanette Daniels jeanettedaniels8667 at yahoo.com
Sat Jun 11 07:34:44 MDT 2011

Harold and Debbi,

I know several professional genealogists who are full-time.  They are living in the Salt Lake City area and are usually attached to large genealogy firms.  There are some independents who are also supporting themselves.  It has been this way for years.  Others do non-research but are associated with genealogically-related activities such as publishing, etc.

You won't be able to sustain yourself from speaking at conferences or writing articles.  You must be actively involved with research in order to make enough money to sustain yourself.  You may also need to work for attorneys and other professional types in order to get clients supplied to you along with your own advertising.  I would suggest that you look at the websites of several genealogists to see what type of services are being offered.

A good research background will open more financial doors for you.

Jeanette Daniels
Heritage Genealogical College