[APG Public List] Genalogy business plan

Michael Hait michael.hait at hotmail.com
Fri Jun 10 21:24:31 MDT 2011

I’d be happy to answer your questions from my experience:

1. If you are not being paid for a lecture, then all of the expenses, as well as the time that is spent actually conducting the necessary research and creating the lecture, come out of your pocket. This is why many speakers do not provide unpaid lectures (unless for a local society where costs are minimal).

2. If you write an article for a scholarly journal that does not pay writers, then you do not get reimbursed. On the other hand, many case studies that are published develop out of client research projects for which the researcher was paid, and published articles often lead to more paying jobs. So while you are not paid directly by the journals, you can sometimes chalk it up as “advertising.”

3. There are always opportunities for more genealogists. There are also many ways to set yourself apart from the crowd, either through creating your own niche or providing a service that others do not, etc. There are also a lot of “professional” genealogists who do not produce quality work, so doing so will in and of itself help to set you apart from others.

Hope this helps. You may also like to join the Transitional Genealogists Forum mailing list, hosted by Rootsweb. These sorts of questions are right at home on this mailing list as well.

Michael Hait
michael.hait at hotmail.com
http://www.haitfamilyresearch.com