[APG Public List] War of 1812 question...

MVMcgrs at aol.com MVMcgrs at aol.com
Fri Jun 10 12:17:36 MDT 2011

In a message dated 6/10/2011 11:18:19 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
spirit76es at gmail.com writes:

Again I ask a question about the War of 1812.. I have appreciated all of
you who have answered my questions.. but I have yet another one..

Does the FHC have the same War of 1812 records that NARA has?

Ellie Swanger, CO

No. The FHC may have copies of the NARA microfilm.  The 1812 Compiled
Military Service Records, the pension application files, the Unindexed Bounty
Land Applications, the Surrendered Warrants, and the manuscript files are all
textual/original records ONLY available at NARA. Other land records are also
in original/textual form.

Check the NARA website
_http://www.archives.gov/research/military/war-of-1812/_ (http://www.archives.gov/research/military/war-of-1812/)
for a brief description of what might be found.

M1856, Discharge Certificates and Miscellaneous Records Relating to the
Discharge of Soldiers from the Regular Army, 1792-1815 part of _Records of the
Adjutant General's Office, 1780's-1917, Record Group (RG) 94_
(http://www.archives.gov/research/guide-fed-records/groups/094.html)  is a NARA film that
has not been duplicated by the FHL.

_https://wiki.familysearch.org/en/NARA_and_FHL_film_numbers_
(https://wiki.familysearch.org/en/NARA_and_FHL_film_numbers)  is the link that translates
the NARA film numbers to FHL numbers. The on-line listing has a date of
2008.

I apologize if this shows up twice.

Marie

Marie Varrelman Melchiori, CG, CGL
Melchiori Research Services, L.L.C.
CG, Certified Genealogist and CGL, Certified Genealogical Lecturer are
service marks of the Board for Certification of Genealogists ® , used under
license by Board-certified associates after periodic competency evaluations.