[APG Public List] Pennsylvania Vital Records

Elissa Scalise Powell, CG Elissa at PowellGenealogy.com
Sun Jun 5 09:12:39 MDT 2011

I just received the following this morning:

"Vital Records Bill SB-361 is scheduled for an important vote in State
Senate Public Health & Welfare Committee on Wednesday June 8th, 2011 at 10am
in Room 461 of the State Capitol Building in Harrisburg (I only just found
out about it). More can be found on this at the June 1, 2011 entry on our
website under The Latest News: http://users.rcn.com/timarg/PaHR-Access.htm.

This bill just makes birth certificates over 100 years old and death
certificates over 50 years old open records. It doesn't force them to be
online, but making them open records is required before anything at all can
be done. It is basically the same bill that passed this committee
unanimously last year in the previous session. However, we cannot assume it
will do so again. Your help is needed to make sure it passes again. Please
visit, call, or at the very least email any or all of the committee members
and ask them to vote in favor of this bill. If your state senator is on the
committee so much the better. Be sure to let him or her know you are a
constituent.

Please let your membership know about this. Thank you for your help.

Tim Gruber

610-791-9294"

If anyone can lend their support, please feel free to do so. The website Tim
mentions is of the organization whose sole purpose is to get the PA Vital
records opened up for easier access. It has information on why we need to do
this, and who to contact.

-- Elissa

Elissa Scalise Powell, CG, CGL

www.PowellGenealogy.com

www.GRIPitt.org

CG, Certified Genealogist, CGL, and Certified Genealogical Lecturer are
Service Marks of the Board for Certification of Genealogists, used under
license by board certificants after periodic evaluations by the Board and
the board name is a trademark registered in the US Patent and Trademark
Office.