[APG Public List] 6th great grandson of 6th great grandfather

JG Russell family at jgrussell.com
Fri Jun 3 12:21:17 MDT 2011

On Date: Thu, 02 Jun 2011 21:42:56 , John Yates <john at jytangledweb.org>, wrote:

 > A is the 6th great grandson of 6th great grandfather of B.
 > Same 6th great grandfather but with different wives.
 > Is this the "best" way to describe this (half)blood relationship?
 > It just seems an odd way to describe it.

I'm a great believer in precision and, here, without indicating that
this is a half-blood situation, a reader could be misled into making
an unwarranted conclusion about the marital situation of the 6th
great grandfather. I would describe them as 7th cousins of the
half-blood and drop in a footnote explaining that they descended from
different wives.

-- Judy