[APG Public List] [APG Members] IPAD

A.C. Ivory ac.ivory at findmyancestor.com
Wed Jan 19 08:39:25 MST 2011

Larry (and others interested),

I have not personally used databases such as Ancestry.com, Footnote.com or
FamilySearch on my iPad, but I have heard from others that Ancestry.com
works pretty well because their image viewer is not run by Adobe Flash. Both
FamilySearch and Footnote use Flash in their image viewers, so they would
not work on any mobile Apple device (iPad/iPhone/iPod Touch).

As far as browsing the Internet, I really enjoy it! The screen is large
enough that most websites look completely normal as if I was viewing it on
my computer. If you have ever used an iPhone you know that many websites
"convert" everything into a mobile interface, but on the iPad most websites
do not do that because of the size of the screen. You could still use the
mobile version of the website if you wanted, but it is not necessary.

I use my iPad a ton for genealogy purposes. I read all the blogs I follow,
use many genealogy and non-genealogy related apps, browse the Internet, make
notes, store documents, I have many of my books in an eBook format that I
read directly from rather than carrying around a bag full of heavy books, as
well as many other uses.

There are actually quite a few apps available for the iPad/iPhone/iPod Touch
for genealogy. I am actually presenting at the upcoming RootsTech conference
in Salt Lake City on Mobile Apps for Genealogy. I will be doing live
demonstrations of some of the apps available for both iOS (Apple) and
Android devices. I also recently had a couple interviews with some fellow
bloggers about my presentation I am giving. You can read those at:
http://www.blog.findmyancestor.com/2011/01/my-rootstech-interviews-with-lorine-schulze-and-thomas-macentee/

<http://www.blog.findmyancestor.com/2011/01/my-rootstech-interviews-with-lorine-schulze-and-thomas-macentee/>Also,
I do a blog series on 3 or 4 Mondays a month called Mobile
Monday<http://www.blog.findmyancestor.com/category/mobile-monday/>,
talking about the apps available on mobile devices that can help us in our
genealogical research, organization, education, etc. Go ahead and check out
these blogs posts. I am sure that some of them can help you learn more about
what is available for mobile devices.

There are rumors that the iPad2 is going to have a camera. This will be
handy for taking photos while you are on the go. But, in the mean time and
if that doesn't happen at all, there is a cable you can connect to your iPad
that will connect to your camera and/or an SD card and you can import
photos. The cable can be found
here<http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC531ZM/A?fnode=MTc0MjU4NjE&mco=MTc0Njk4NzU>
.

When I give my presentation next month at RootsTech I am also planning on
giving my entire presentation from my iPad. There is a cable that will allow
you to connect your iPad to a project and give your presentation form the
device. You can find that cable
here<http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC552ZM/A?fnode=MTc0MjU4NjE&mco=MTgzODI1MzY>
.

I find there are many great and convenient uses for both my iPad and iPhone
- both genealogy and not.
  A.C. Ivory  ac.ivory at findmyancestor.com  FindMyAncestor.com
<http://findmyancestor.com>   <http://findmyancestor.blogspot.com>
<http://www.twitter.com/findmyancestor> <http://www.facebook.com/ac.ivory>