[APG Public List] Social Security benefits for children

RB5522 at aol.com RB5522 at aol.com
Sun Jan 9 19:50:08 MST 2011

As someone who was widowed with young children I can give you some
information about the process.  All relationships have to be proved with  original
documents (not copies.) mailed or handed to Social Security  In my  case I
had to show them  birth certificates for everyone  involved, my marriage
certificate and my husbands death certificate.   The relationship of the
beneficiary  to the decedent has to be  proven.

As far as the records being available to others, remember  these are
records and files about the children of the deceased ,including their birth
certificates,  and are separate from the records of the parents, so I  doubt
they would be available.

Judi Scott

I appreciate all your answers and advice.??? Does anyone  have actual
experience
with the form required for receiving death benefits  for the children?
?
I imagine that the death benefit form would have been  submitted by the
children's paternal aunt or paternal grandmother, with whom  they went to
live.?
Either of these would have had personal knowledge of the  marriage date, if
asked
to supply it on the form.
?
Thank you for all  your help.