[APG Public List] Questions on Social Security BenefitsApplication

Jacqueline Wilson wilssearch at gmail.com
Sun Jan 9 19:31:43 MST 2011

Donna, you mentioned that the mother died first.  In that case, the father may have applied for SSA benefits for the children under her account.  He would have also applied for the Lump Sum Death Benefit ($255) paid to the spouse for burial expenses.  Proof of marriage would be needed for that application.  If no marriage, then the benefit would have gone to the minor children.  Of course it is possible the funeral home did the application as that was still legal back in the 60s.

As to whether the records are still around, don't hold your breath, although there might be microfilmed copies.  I do know that the Baltimore storage facility destroys a lot of records as soon as possible as they have no room.

Speaking as one who had to find old applications as part of her job at SSA.
Jacqueline Wilson
Evanston, IL

"Wilssearch Editorial & Research Services - your service of choice for the indexing challenged genealogist."

Masters of Military History student at AMU