[APG Public List] Questions on Social Security Benefits Application

Stephen J. Danko stephen at stephendanko.com
Sun Jan 9 18:35:20 MST 2011

Here is some information from the Social Security Administration at
http://tinyurl.com/2few4ee

"Records potentially available from Social Security include the Application
for a Social Security card (form SS-5) and information from the claims
folder for past recipients of benefits. In any case, to obtain any of this
information from Social Security you will need to file a Freedom of
Information Act request.

The detailed procedures are as follows:

To search our records for the information you want, we need certain
identifying information. Our records are filed by Social Security numbers
(SSNs) rather than by names.  If you can provide the person's SSN, we will
search our records for any information we might have. Without an SSN, we
will need the person's full name, date and place of birth, and parents' full
names to locate the record.  If you can provide the necessary identifying
information, we will search for the number.  We cannot search for the SSN
for people born before 1865. The cost to search for a claim file is $14 when
you provide the SSN.  You may be charged 10 cents a page for copies.  Please
note that claim files are usually destroyed within a few years of the final
decision on the claim, so we will not have claim files for most people.

Send requests for claim files to:

Social Security Administration

Freedom of Information Officer

6401 Security Boulevard