[APG Public List] Questions on Social Security Benefits Application

Stephen J. Danko stephen at stephendanko.com
Sun Jan 9 18:35:20 MST 2011

Here is some information from the Social Security Administration at


"Records potentially available from Social Security include the Application
for a Social Security card (form SS-5) and information from the claims
folder for past recipients of benefits. In any case, to obtain any of this
information from Social Security you will need to file a Freedom of
Information Act request. 


The detailed procedures are as follows: 


To search our records for the information you want, we need certain
identifying information. Our records are filed by Social Security numbers
(SSNs) rather than by names.  If you can provide the person's SSN, we will
search our records for any information we might have. Without an SSN, we
will need the person's full name, date and place of birth, and parents' full
names to locate the record.  If you can provide the necessary identifying
information, we will search for the number.  We cannot search for the SSN
for people born before 1865. The cost to search for a claim file is $14 when
you provide the SSN.  You may be charged 10 cents a page for copies.  Please
note that claim files are usually destroyed within a few years of the final
decision on the claim, so we will not have claim files for most people.


Send requests for claim files to:


Social Security Administration 

Freedom of Information Officer 

6401 Security Boulevard 

Baltimore, MD  21235-0001"


Best regards,

Stephen J. Danko, PLCGS


From: apgpubliclist-bounces+stephen=stephendanko.com at apgen.org
[mailto:apgpubliclist-bounces+stephen=stephendanko.com at apgen.org] On Behalf
Of JYoung6180 at aol.com
Sent: Sunday, January 09, 2011 1:39 PM
To: donna316 at tx.rr.com; apgpubliclist at apgen.org
Subject: Re: [APG Public List] Questions on Social Security Benefits




In all probability the marriage record would be on file because it would be
the proof needed to establish that the children are children of the deceased
wage earner. 


Once a person dies (in this case both parties to the marriage record are
deceased) FOIA goes into effect and you should be able to order the record
provided they haven't trashed it by now.




In a message dated 1/9/2011 4:21:27 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
donna316 at tx.rr.com writes:



I have posed this question to the Social Security Administration with no
response as of yet, so I thought I'd ask my question here.


In 1968, a man, previously widowed, died leaving three small children.
Would the application for Social Security death benefits for the children
include the marriage date for the parents of the children?  Is this
application obtainable through the Freedom of Information Act?   At least
two of the children (now adults) are still living.  Would one of them need
to order the record instead of me?


I appreciate the benefit of you experience!


Warmest Regards,



-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <../attachments/20110109/180f3d6d/attachment-0001.htm>

More information about the APGPublicList mailing list