[APG Public List] Questions on Social Security Benefits Application

Dee Gibson-Roles wncgen at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 9 17:23:15 MST 2011

I have two grandchildren who are drawing Social Security.  Their father is
deceased.  He and their mother (my duaghter) were never married (they were under
18 when the kids were born and I refused to sign for her to marry him because I
knew he was a drug addict.  We think an overdose killed him at age 33.)  When my
daughter applied for SS for them after his death, she was not asked about a
marriage - just their birth certificates as marriage doesn't prove fatherhood.
Hope this helps.
Dee