[APG Public List] Labelling photos

PLDunford PLDunford at cox.net
Mon Feb 28 08:44:59 MST 2011

I have a small envelope, from my grandmother's photos, with the following
written in ink, on the outside:

"Lottie Palmer & Nellie Palmer Dunford

Celia Richardson"

In pencil is added "Parks" between the Lottie and Palmer.

The envelope is empty.  I knew who Lottie and Nellie were (my grandmother
and great-grandmother), but who was Celia? Lottie's mother was Cynthia,
Cynthia's mother was Celia (b 1802). I had presumed an error on my
grandmother's part, labeling the photo with the "wrong" generation
grandmother, and that the missing photo was Cynthia, not Celia..

Some time back I came across a published family history with a picture
captioned: Celia Humphries Richardson.

I realized that one of the orphan photos in my box of old photos was the
same woman. Celia had gotten separated from her envelope.  Apparently my
cousin was better at keeping photos than I was.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I have been taught to always
identify ANY source material on the material itself, if at all possible.

So, while I support the scanning - and the metadata (subject to the usual
concerns about upgrading the media every so often, so as not to get in the
"we don't have the ability to read that file anymore"), I do think that
identifying the photo on the photo is pretty important.

Pat

In Tucson