[APG Public List] Labelling photos

Debbie Parker Wayne debbie at debbiewayne.com
Mon Feb 28 07:06:55 MST 2011

Jonathan Baker wrote on 2/27/2011 2:30 PM:
> I have a simpler solution. These days I scan everything and put the
> information required in the metadata. And no harm is done to the
> photo. If you are using archival paper sleeves to store the photos in,
> put that same information on the outside of the sleeve.

I've always felt it was much safer to add white space (increase the
canvas size) and add the citation so it is seen when the image is
viewed. Someone else mentioned this earlier.

There are still too many people who don't understand metadata. There is
also confusion over the multiple places where metadata fields can be
located--as part of the image, as part of the operating system
folder/directory, as fields associated with a particular image
organization program used, and probably places I am not aware of.

Increasing canvas size and adding the citation to the image itself means
the creator (you) may have to learn a new process, but it requires no
knowledge whatsoever on the part of the viewer. Adding the citation to a
PDF containing the image may not prevent someone from extracting the
image without the citation. There is no magic bullet, but I feel a
citation as part of the image is safest as it can't be lost except by
intentional cropping of the image.

--
Regards, Debbie

Debbie Parker Wayne, CG^(sm)
-- Wayne Research <http://debbiewayne.com/>
CG, Certified Genealogist is a service mark of the Board for
Certification of Genealogists^(®) , used under license by board
certificants after periodic evaluation. The board name is registered in
the US Patent & Trademark Office.