[APG Public List] Labelling photos

Morris Simon mosimon at comcast.net
Sat Feb 26 18:14:45 MST 2011

Listen to Christine. Especially the part about not writing descriptions on
the photograph itself.

I usually use a #1 or #2 lead pencil to put a catalog number on a corner
edge of the back of photographs, then copy the number to a small slip of
non-acidic paper containing a detailed description of the photograph. I
place the photgraph in an archival envelope and attach the descriptive slip
to the outside of the envelope with archival tape (similar to paint masking
tape but with acid-neutral glue. I prefer to make a digital copy of the
photo for handling and then seldom remove the original photo from its
archival envelope.

Morris
(an occasional library archivist)