[APG Public List] Death of a US citizen abroad

Israel P IsraelP at pikholz.org
Thu Feb 24 07:43:33 MST 2011

I have a client who is interested in information about a childless great-
aunt who died here in Israel in the early 1990s.  The aunt was a US
citizen (as is the client).  A report of the aunt's death was filed with
the Consulate in Tel-Aviv and that is what she wants to obtain.  No need
for a certified copy.

Three questions:

The following two sites seem to have conflicting information.  I assume
that the State Department's is the better source, but perhaps someone can
comment on the very different information.
http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/w2w/foreign.htm#foreign_deaths     and
http://travel.state.gov/passport/faq/faq_5057.html

Second, client is a great-niece.  What will the government require of her
to demonstrate that she should be entitled to the report? (Obviously, she
will file the request herself - no need for me to do it.)

Third, is it possible to get the document filed by the informant, or only
the Consulate's report.  Having just done this for my mother, I know that
these are not identical.

Thank you.

Israel Pickholtz
Jerusalem