[APG Public List] Occupation Question

PLDunford PLDunford at cox.net
Sun Feb 20 13:50:58 MST 2011

"Pouncing" is (oh, heck, make that "was" - they may not still do this) also
done in sewing or tailoring.  I remember transferring a dress pattern onto
fabric using pounce (I recall, however, that it was chalk, not charcoal)
which was placed in a muslin fabric bag, tied up with string. Previously, of
course, we had poked small holes in the pattern along the cut lines, or
along the dart or pleat lines.

Then, holding the fabric and pattern, you would "pat" the dust onto the
pattern, wherein it would go through the holes. Frankly it was quite a mess.
But, it worked.

I believe, but couldn't prove, that the "pounce" idea was similar to the way
a cat pounces. Your pouncing better be pretty light or you're going to have
a real mess on your hands. And your arms, and in your nose. . . . .

I have a vague memory of a similar activity using a chamois bag. But can't
remember why.  (no, I'm not that old, just a bit challenged now and again -
how's that?)

Pat

In Tucson