No subject

Thu Feb 10 10:56:25 MST 2011

"pouncer": "A person who or thing which pounces the surface of a hat."

"pounce" (verb): "To trace or transfer (a design) on or to a surface
by dusting a perforated pattern with pounce; to dust (the perforations
in a pricked pattern) with pounce; (also) to imprint or copy a design
on to (a surface) using pounce."

"pounce" (noun): "A fine powder, esp. powdered charcoal, for dusting
over a perforated pattern sheet to transfer the design to a surface
beneath."

So hat factories definitely would have employed pouncers.

Drew Smith

On Sun, Feb 20, 2011 at 3:06 PM, Charles S. Mason, Jr.
<cgrs791 at netscape.com> wrote:
> I found an occupation on a birth record (1892) for a great aunt that =
said
> her father was a =93pouncer.=94=A0 I have searched every source I can =
think of
and
> have not found this occupation.=A0 Her father, my great grandfather, =
was
> involved in hat making and worked in a hat factory in Philadelphia, =
PA.=A0 I
> did find that as a part of the process of making felt hats, they =
pounded
the
> felt.=A0 I suspected that there was a typo on the birth record since =
it was
> not the actual record, but a certified transcription of the record.=A0
Looking