[APG Public List] Occupation Question

Charles S. Mason, Jr. cgrs791 at netscape.com
Sun Feb 20 13:06:25 MST 2011

I found an occupation on a birth record (1892) for a great aunt that said
her father was a "pouncer."  I have searched every source I can think of and
have not found this occupation.  Her father, my great grandfather, was
involved in hat making and worked in a hat factory in Philadelphia, PA.  I
did find that as a part of the process of making felt hats, they pounded the
felt.  I suspected that there was a typo on the birth record since it was
not the actual record, but a certified transcription of the record.  Looking
at a typewriter keyboard the d is above the c and I thought that was the
typo.

I have not found a census record that records his occupation as a pouncer.
Of course the census record is handwritten so this cannot be a typo.  Does
anyone know what this occupation might be?

Thanks for your help.

Chuck Mason

Charles S. Mason, Jr., CG

Past President of the Fairfax and Mt. Vernon Genealogical Societies.

Certified Genealogist and CG are Service Marks of the Board for
Certification of Genealogists and used here under license.