[APG Public List] costs of emigration

Rolgeiger at aol.com Rolgeiger at aol.com
Sat Feb 12 15:14:35 MST 2011

Hello,

Thanks to all who answered on my request this evening (it's 11 p.m. here in
 Germany now).

Two years ago there was a seminar in Kaiserslautern, Germany. Among others
Philipp Otterness from New York was speaking - he read a summary from his
exceptional book "Becoming German" about the first mass emigration of the
so-called Palatines through England to the New York Colony and their life
with  the Indians - the summary was called "Promised Land" and I had the chance
to  translate it into German.

You can find part of the book through google-books:
_http://books.google.de/books?id=e17IQ9aFkJwC&printsec=frontcover&dq=becoming+german&source=bl&ots=U
pcoT8b0EM&sig=Q4L_xQ9o76SHGV6mRbJ3FTCuY_M&hl=de&ei=ZwRXTayoN8nDhAeH85XmDA&sa
=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=5&ved=0CDIQ6AEwBA#v=onepage&q&f=false_
(http://books.google.de/books?id=e17IQ9aFkJwC&printsec=frontcover&dq=becoming+
german&source=bl&ots=UpcoT8b0EM&sig=Q4L_xQ9o76SHGV6mRbJ3FTCuY_M&hl=de&ei=ZwR
XTayoN8nDhAeH85XmDA&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=5&ved=0CDIQ6AEwBA#v
=onepage&q&f=false)

It's a must read for everyone interested in immigration in 17th Century if
not to learn why Upstate New York was not an area for settlers before 1820.

Roland Geiger