[APG Public List] costs of emigration

Jacqueline Wilson wilssearch at gmail.com
Sat Feb 12 13:23:53 MST 2011

According to the TV show I watched last night - "Who Do You Think You Are" there was a book published in Germany about settling in the Carolina colonies - the English Crown would provide free passage and free land in that colony for any Palatine who was able to make it to England.  However, someone forgot to the the English about this!  So when the Germans made it to England they found out the book was a fraud.  Eventually the English decided to take these fold and indenture them and sent them New York and put them to work making tar for the English navy. This took place sometime around 1710 - 1720.

I cannot say with any certainty that this is a true fact, but it was presented as such on the show.  The show's purpose was to trace the genealogy of Tim McGraw, country singer.