[APG Public List] costs of emigration

Rolgeiger at aol.com Rolgeiger at aol.com
Sat Feb 12 11:00:25 MST 2011

Hello,

Next week they will have a lecture here about emigration from Germany to
the British Colonies in North America in 18th Century. I know that fellow who
 will talk and his main object or better main reason for emigration is
pauperism.  He says people were poor and heard that America was the country
where milk and  honeys flows from the hills and so they emigrated. Lots of them.

I don't agree with this idea. No matter whether they money or not, someone
had to pay the bill for the passage.

Any idea who paid the bill and how much the costs of the trip may have
been?

Thanks.

Mit freundlichen Gruessen

Roland Geiger

-----------------

Roland Geiger
Historical and Genalogical  Research
Alsfassener Strasse 17
66606 St. Wendel
Germany
phone  ++49-6851-3166
email rolgeiger at aol.com
_www.hfrg.de_ (http://www.hfrg.de/)

=> APG - Association of  Professional Genealogists
=> ASF - Arbeitsgemeinschaft für Saarlaendische  Familienforschung

Researchs in
=> genealogy
=> local  history
=> transcriptions (f.e. old German into modern)
=> guided  tours through St. Wendel (day and night) and St. Wendel County,
Saarland,  Germany