[APG Public List] Nursing homes

Ray Beere Johnson II raybeere at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 28 11:26:30 MDT 2010

Larry;
     Thanks for raising a very interesting point. Even terms we may think are familiar may have meanings we don't expect - as you've shown with "nursing home" - and any inferences we may draw from such a linguistic misunderstanding would be misleading.
     I wonder if there are other terms we think we understand but which may have other possible meanings, and how many such terms there may be?
     This really demonstrates how inadequate "dictionaries" of archaic terms usually are. Different times, countries, even regions may have had their own special usages. (Although I doubt these terms would ever be of genealogical significance, to illustrate how regional terms can be, what most of the US calls a "milkshake" is a "frappe" in New England - but, in Rhode Island, a "frappe" is a "cabinet"...) That example will probably never matter to anyone, but what other odd usages might affect our research?
                      Ray Beere Johnson II