[APG Public List] Nursing homes

Drew Smith drewsmithtpa at gmail.com
Mon Sep 27 18:16:52 MDT 2010

On Mon, Sep 27, 2010 at 10:20 AM, Jacqueline Wilson
<wilssearch at gmail.com> wrote:
> It would be interesting to check the OED to see how they define it over the years.  I do not have a subscription or I would.

The OED defines "nursing home" as "a small (often private) institution
providing residential accommodation with health care, esp. for the
elderly", and dates that particular usage back to 1896.  It does not
indicate any regional variations in the meaning of the term (such as
for the United States or Canada).  And it does not indicate any usage
of the phrase to refer to maternity homes or birth homes.

Drew Smith