[APG Public List] Nursing homes

LBoswell laboswell at rogers.com
Mon Sep 27 12:18:48 MDT 2010

Jeanette and Jacqueline,  that used to be what nursing homes meant in Canada
too (Ontario at least).  Then they began to be used for short and long term
convalescent care.  Now they're used to warehouse people suffering from
mental illnesses who were sent there from a mainstream hospital emergency
room.  So the elderly in their final weeks and months have a very mixed bag
of fellow immates, some of whom are very violent.

So a Canadian or American researcher (who sees the term as referring to
geriatric pallitive care) reading "born in a nursing home" would raise their
eyebrows (though given what's been the news as to 'aged' mothers, maybe
not!).  It does show that you can't take for granted what's implied by even
a common phrase.  I add a note explaining the difference when dealing with
US clients.  I

But I'm still interested in the history of the term 'nursing home' and how
it became two completely different concepts