[APG Public List] Nursing homes

Jacqueline Wilson wilssearch at gmail.com
Mon Sep 27 08:20:28 MDT 2010

Larry, I do not know the origin of the name or when the US version became what it is now.  Bur in the States, it is basically an old folks home where people go who have no other place to go at the end of their lives and have no one to care for them or for people who need rehab.  Now days, a place to give birth here is called a "birthing center"  and a place  for unwed mothers (usually teenagers or very young) is called a "home for girls" or wayward girls in some cases.

It would be interesting to check the OED to see how they define it over the years.  I do not have a subscription or I would.