[APG Public List] IL Marriage Question [marriage register]

Rondina Muncy rondina.muncy at gmail.com
Sun Sep 26 12:07:18 MDT 2010

If the "certificate" is simply extracted information taken from the
register, then it should be cited differently from a true certificate of
marriage or the marriage register. For example, for a mid-nineteenth century
marriage in McNairy County, Tennessee, I have a "marriage certificate." This
certificate was a modern certificate created in the 1990's. The information
from the marriage register had been inserted into the blanks by the county
clerk. This was extracted information placed on a contemporary marriage
license as they issued to couples walking in the door to obtain one in the
1990s. The fact that I have not seen, nor have photocopies or images, of the
entry in the marriage register devalues the information. Not only do I not
have anything original from the action (the clerk's record or the original
certificate issued), but I am completely reliant on the clerk's competency
in filling in the information accurately. In this case, if  I were to cite
the "certificate" today, I would note the circumstances of its creation in
an annotation within the footnote.

Rondina
Rondina P. Muncy
Ancestral Analysis